Thursday, December 1, 2016

My Piece of Home

When asked what I brought from home that would sum up who I am as a person, I had to take some time to ponder over what that would be. What single item accurately depicts me? Well. I guess it would be a little stuffed owl that sits on my bed. His name is Snowflake, and he was my sister's present to me before leaving to come here to ETSU. Now, you may ask why on Earth this thing would be representative of me. After all, it's just an owl. But to me, it's so much more than that. It is my connection back home. It is the reminder of the little girl I left at home when I came here. It is the reminder of the why I have to keep going.
When I came here, I left behind a town I had always been a part of. I left a family that I had never truly been away from for extensive periods of time. I left everything. Coming here was my time to start over. My time to forget what I didn't want to think about and try to discover who I am and what I want in life. Coming to school here showed me part of who I am, and that's someone who will never give up on people who matter to me. This little owl is my reminder to keep going and be someone my sister can look up to. It is a symbol that there is always someone back home who is cheering me on. She is my hope, so this owl is my motivation, my gateway back home, and my reminder. A way to remember that things are always brighter when you look at them through the eyes of a child. I guess all this is to say I am family. Not family by blood necessarily. But I am the guardian and mom to those I care about, whether it be my sister, friends, or whomever. I am the bright-eyed owl keeping a watch to make sure everyone and everything is okay and as it should be.


No comments:

Post a Comment