Saturday, December 3, 2016

Musical Memories

On November 16th, I attended a musical performance on campus and listened to a trombone choir as well as a few small ensembles play a number of pieces. Originally, I went to support John and because I needed to go to a musical performance to meet a collo requirement, but looking back, I am very glad I went for other reasons. I was in band throughout middle school and high school, yet I decided to take some time off from the band world once I came to college. Though I am happy I do not have to deal with the stress of constant rehearsals, I do miss the social interaction and the thrill of performing. There's nothing quite like playing at a football game or on a stage under the bright lights. The last song performed that night was Indodana, a touching piece originating from South Africa. Prior to the piece being played, the conductor/trombone instructor gave some background, telling a touching anecdote of how he witnessed the song being sang in South Africa and moving everyone in the audience, including the former archbishop and Nobel Peace Prize winner Desmond Tutu. This story prepared me and the other audience members for how moving this piece really is. I don't know how to explain it, but once the song started, I got chills. I don't really know what I felt while it was playing, but I knew as soon as the song was finished the reason I missed band. I missed not only playing works that emotionally moved me while playing them, but I missed watching a change in the audience before and after hearing certain songs. I missed the awestruck looks on their faces and the experience of taking people on a journey with you as you relay the message the composer has from simple markings on a page to a beautiful masterpiece. Indodana took me on a journey similar to those that I took so many people on when I played in band. It was a wonderful reminder of the joys music can bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment