Saturday, December 3, 2016

Future Endeavors

In collo, we were assigned to think of five things we want to accomplish in the next ten to fifteen years and then choose one concrete step that we will take in order to reach one of our goals. Well, after thinking things over, I have no idea exactly what I want to have accomplished ten years from now. Sure, I could discuss how I plan to be in residency for my career. I could talk about how I will probably be looking for a place to settle down and get married if I am not already and then prepare to have a family. Honestly though, that seems too typical. Everyone is going on a journey through college to get a degree and then go on to work in their desired field. I want to accomplish more than just having a job and a family ten to fifteen years from now. I want to accomplish the little things that I have always dreamed of doing. I want to travel the world and leave the US; I want to visit Ireland and see where my family is from. I want to become fluent in Spanish and communicate with people in their native language rather than expecting everyone to know English. I want to work on my musical abilities and pick back up with guitar and piano so I can touch people's lives with music in the same way music has affected me. I want to gather up the courage to invite a random person out for coffee and sit and talk with them about life. And I want to read a ton of classical literature and have in depth discussions with people to explore different interpretations and discover first hand that the beauty of literature can be found through different perspectives. All of these may seem like things I can accomplish at any point in life, not just within the next ten years, and I guess technically that is true. But I hope by the end of ten years, I will have met all those goals. Because those goals are what will help me on my journey to self discovery and actualization. Those are the little things I want to look back in life and remember and feel proud of. To reach them, I will start small. My short term goal is to get my passport sometime soon so I can start travelling and seeing the world.  After that, I guess time will tell what happens next.

No comments:

Post a Comment