Saturday, April 22, 2017

Coalition for Kids

Today, I fulfilled my requirement for five community service hours, and honestly, it ended up being a great experience. A friend and I went to the local Coalition for Kids venue where we were to meet some other students. While there, we expected to do some painting for them, but upon arrival, we realized there was much more to be done than painting. The students volunteering were split into two groups: one that was to wash walls and then paint and one that would use hammers and chisels to remove cove base. Unfortunately, the people who put it up used the wrong adhesive, making it rather difficult to remove. This was an entirely new experience for me, and I am genuinely glad I went. Because all the volunteers today worked together, we were able to accomplish an extensive amount in a fairly short amount of time. My group was able to remove all the old cove base which was in multiple hallways and a relatively large room. After our jobs were done, we were all able to sit down and have a nice lunch together, getting to hear the story of how Coalition for Kids was founded. Because of such a positive experience, I fully intend to return to the facility to volunteer or possibly even get a job. Not only would I be okay helping with further renovations that are necessary, but I would also love to interact with the kids who go there after school.




No comments:

Post a Comment